Edited: 7 May 2020. The Pirbright Institute is aware that misinformation regarding the Institute and its research is circulating on social media following the COVID-19 outbreak. The facts regarding our coronavirus research and funding can be found in this statement.
The Pirbright Institute is a publicly funded private company. We have a diverse range of major stakeholders, and receive strategic funding from the Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC) which is part of UK Research and Innovation (UKRI).
Our major stakeholders are:
- Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC)
- UK Department for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra)
- Wellcome Trust, Medical Research Council (MRC) and other research funding agencies
- International funding and disease control agencies, such as OIE, WHO, the European Commission, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
- Industrial producers of veterinary vaccines and antivirals
- Farmers and livestock keepers