Location: The Pirbright Institute
Organisation position and purpose
The Pirbright Institute Estates Management Services team (EMS) provide a large in-house operational management function across the Pirbright campus that comprises many critical functions including, organisational programme management, buildings automation & controls management, engineering repairs & maintenance programme delivery, capital operations projects management, specialist equipment ownership and engineering compliance teams. EMS also provide client-side collaborative design expertise and construction technical support to our development programme.
EMS manages Pirbright’s most critical activities for control of biorisk in our major accident hazard high containment facilities through continuously improving the delivery of world class engineering services at Pirbright. Our ongoing commitment to continuous development of our science, risk management and financial control has led to EMS embarking on an organisation and culture transformation programme that is operationally all inclusive and agile, and which will continually develop into the future. This strategically significant programme expands on our existing organisational transformation initiative across Pirbright with the implementation and ongoing development of more rigorous quality and project management, functional safety management, human factors and harmonisation of systems and processes across EMS and other capabilities, under a process safety management framework through the EMS Strategic Plan.
To ensure the successful implementation and realisation of the benefits of this EMS Strategic Plan there is a requirement for an Operational Process Change Manager to be responsible for ensuring that EMS are organisationally capable of transitioning to these new ways of working.
The Operational Process Change Manager will support the Senior Operations Leader and Senior Asset & Operations Manager in ensuring that EMS and, as a result the wider organisation, can operate efficiently through the transition whilst implementing new processes and adopting new working practices.
The Operational Process Change Manager will work closely with the Head of Quality & Organisation in contributing and leading in management of change and innovation to ensure EMS aligns with Pirbright improvement strategy plans. The job holder will be responsible for the leadership and project/ programme management duties of EMS to ensure sufficient governance and assurance to enable the Institute to achieve and maintain its goals in the transition to operational Process Safety Management capability.
Main duties and responsibility
- Lead on the implementation of the EMS Strategic Plan and the rolling programme of initiatives to embed our values, as well as leading on and progressing a programme of delivery of high reliability organisational improvements.
- Lead on programme of review of EMS (and wider as appropriate) operational practices to identify and deliver improved business practices, focusing on operational safety and efficiency.
- Support on establishing a fit for purpose EMS (and wider as appropriate) management system which will include all aspects of quality, change and project management.
- Work with the Senior Operations Leader and Senior Asset & Operations Manager on the development of the EMS future operational management plan to establish a fit for purpose, comprehensive and high quality ongoing developmental improvement plan.
- Work in collaboration with Pirbright’s Head Quality & Organisation on change-based initiatives within the organisation- e.g., the ongoing review of Institute supporting systems and working processes with a view to aligning these functions and thereby maximising their value to the organisation.
- Support the Senior Operations Leader and Senior Asset & Operations Manager in process safety and functional safety implementation programme across Pirbright.
- Development of EMS Process Safety roadmap in collaboration with EMS Senior leaders, Specialist Equipment Owners, Process Safety Engineers, and Pirbright Functional Safety Manager.
- Work across departments in the development of our collaborative safety culture and foster integrated ways of working.
- Leadership of EMS Quality Assurance initiatives, having day to day liaison with EMS Operations Programme Manager to deliver organisational structure and lean methods of delivery.
- Close collaboration with key stakeholders including Senior Scientists, Facilities Coordinators, Animal & Research Services and EMS Programme Manager in the development and delivery of EMS programmes of work.
- Support EMS Senior Leaders in a programme of Major Accident Hazard leadership development for key roles in the organisation in liaison with Institute Health, Safety & Biosafety professionals.
- Support and co-design projects and interventions, contribute to the delivery of the EMS staff & structure ongoing development.
This job description is only an outline of the tasks, responsibilities and outcomes required of the role. The jobholder will carry out any other duties as may be reasonably required by his/her line manager. The job description and personal specification may be reviewed on an ongoing basis in accordance with the changing needs of The Pirbright Institute.
All employees shall actively participate in the Institute-wide quality assurance system in conjunction with the Institute’s Quality Manager. Employees are also expected to safeguard their own health and safety and security by following policies and all employees are responsible for the Health and Safety and security of staff under their management.
- Presentation and facilitation skills
- Ability to communicate effectively with people at all levels
- High standard of verbal and written communication
- Ability to meet deadlines, balance competing priorities and act on key tasks within a large and varied range of work particularly as problems arise
- Drives change and improvement
- Fosters collaborative working
- Sound problem-solving skills
- Results-driven, produces work to exacting standards
- Experience of working in a highly regulated environment such as GMP/ GLP
- Experience of operational support, development or management in a science, technical or research organisation, or in a complex or intensively regulated organisation
- Proven track record of project management, delivering change and improvement
- Ability to build good relationships to deliver shared objectives
- Experience of implementing management systems in conformity to an ISO standard or equivalent
- Change and/ or Lean Sigma Practitioner
- Project management certification/ qualification
- Practical knowledge of ISO 9001
- Practical experience of process and/ or functional safety
- Knowledge or experience of engineering process industry
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
Due to the nature of the work, we do, all successful applicants will be required to go through a comprehensive screening process including reference and qualification checks, financial and security clearances.
What we offer
- Generous Group Personal Pension Scheme and life cover (subject to age and earnings)
- 25 days annual leave per annum, pro rata, plus 10.5 public and privilege days
- Buy and sell annual leave
- Option to carry over up to two weeks annual leave
- Pirbright gym with subsidised membership
- Pirbright social club
- Pirbright Lifestyle Hub (employee discount site)
- Cycle to work
- Subsidised staff restaurant
- Childcare allowance
- Free onsite parking
- Electric Car charging facilities
We particularly welcome applications from under-represented groups, for example individuals from ethnic minority backgrounds, women, and people with disabilities (visible and hidden). We are committed to taking steps to increase the diversity of our employee and student community and removing any barriers to opportunities and success.
The Institute is committed to retaining staff employed on fixed term contracts of employment. The Institute operates a Redeployment process which is the moving of an employee from one role to another suitable alternative role, when possible, to avoid compulsory redundancies.
We recognize the need for flexibility in our working and personal lives and we have a range of flexible working arrangements in practice. Where the role allows, arrangements can also be agreed for some informal home-working and we are open to candidate questions about this. If you wish to find out more, or have any questions, please contact jobs@Pirbright.ac.uk.
To apply for this vacancy please visit our careers page -Jobs | The Pirbright Institute
Due to the high volume of applications we receive, if you have not heard from us within one month from closing date of the vacancy, then please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org for an update.