Location: The Pirbright Institute
Organisation position and purpose
The successful candidate will report to the Head of Quality and Organisation in the day-to-day activities and is accountable for ensuring the proper functioning of the the Pirbright Institute Quality Management System (QMS) – ensuring conformity, maintained to the highest standards and continuously improved.
The position requires a self-motivated individual, working autonomously and in a team but it offers the opportunity to be innovative, to drive continuous improvement and promoting a positive Quality Culture.
The Quality Manager will work closely with all areas within the Institute and particularly with the Reference Laboratories, for the day-to-day management aspects of ISO/ IEC 17025 ensuring activities are managed effectively and objectives are met. The post holder will be responsible for the coordination of quality processes and systems, assisting the Head of Quality & Organisation with the management of change.
The Quality Manager will be managing a team of three - Quality Advisors/Archivist
Main duties and responsibility
- Taking ownership and Maintenance of ISO/ IEC 17025 accreditation (fixed and flexible). Review and manage the day-to-day activities of the QMS by:
- Monitoring and reviewing metrics and trends. Preparing reports for quality management reviews.
- Coordinating quality management reviews ensuring outputs are implemented.
- Maintaining the audit programme ensuring it remains in conformity with Pirbright requirements. Conducting internal quality audits to different international standards and regulations.
- Managing the quality incidents database. Performing quality investigations ensuring effective corrective actions are implemented.
- Managing the suppliers’ database ensuring it is kept up to date and suppliers’ performance is assessed by conducting supplier evaluations.
- Reviewing validation documents and calibration certificates. Advise on measurement uncertainty.
- Taking a lead role to provide support, guidance, direction and instruction to Quality Team to develop and improve their understanding of the Quality Management System.
- Lead on the management of change to ensure all aspects of quality change control are properly identified, risks mitigated, and action plans implemented.
- Identify opportunities and assist in developing training programmes as required and deliver quality training to Pirbright staff.
- Lead on quality projects and initiatives, ensuring objectives are met. Coordinate these projects on other areas assisting with process improvements, implementation, and training.
- Organising and hosting external audits, offering expertise, advice and support to teams in preparing for external assessments and preparing responses.
- Provide quality advice and support across all areas of Pirbright by sharing and facilitating best practice across Pirbright.
- Promote and foster a cross collaborative working ethos by contributing to improvement with the aim to enhance productivity and customer service. Lead by example by maintaining a safe and productive working environment.
This job description is only an outline of the tasks, responsibilities and outcomes required of the role. The jobholder will carry out any other duties as may be reasonably required by his/her line manager. The job description and personal specification may be reviewed on an ongoing basis in accordance with the changing needs of The Pirbright Institute.
All employees shall actively participate in the Institute-wide quality assurance system in conjunction with the Institute’s Quality Manager. Employees are also expected to safeguard their own health and safety and security by following policies and all employees are responsible for the Health and Safety and security of staff under their management.
- Time management skills
- Decision making and problem-solving skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong research and analytical skills
- Able to work alone and as part of a team
- Able to critically analyse own work
- Organised, systematic, and flexible
- Change promoter
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Working knowledge of relevant software tools and computer literacy
- Educated to degree level in life sciences
- In depth experience of working knowledge of ISO/ IEC 17025
- Working experience in a laboratory environment
- Knowledge experience in scientific method validations and equipment calibrations
- Proven experience as an internal auditor
- Ability to effectively train others
- Ability to perform effective root cause analysis
- Practical knowledge of ISO 9001 and/ or GxPs
- Experience working with Reference Laboratories
- Practical experience of LIMS
- Project management experience
- Line management experience
Due to the nature of the work we do, all successful applicants will be required to go through a comprehensive screening process including reference and qualification checks, financial and security clearances.
What we offer
- Generous Group Personal Pension Scheme and life cover (subject to age and earnings)
- 25 days annual leave per annum, pro rata, plus 10.5 public and privilege days
- Buy and sell annual leave
- Option to carry over up to two weeks annual leave
- Pirbright gym with subsidised membership
- Pirbright social club
- Pirbright Lifestyle Hub (employee discount site)
- Cycle to work
- Subsidised staff restaurant
- Childcare allowance
- Free onsite parking
- Electric Car charging facilities
We particularly welcome applications from under-represented groups, for example individuals from ethnic minority backgrounds, women, and people with disabilities (visible and hidden). We are committed to taking steps to increase the diversity of our employee and student community and removing any barriers to opportunities and success.
The Institute is committed to retaining staff employed on fixed term contracts of employment. The Institute operates a Redeployment process which is the moving of an employee from one role to another suitable alternative role, when possible, to avoid compulsory redundancies.
We recognize the need for flexibility in our working and personal lives and we have a range of flexible working arrangements in practice. Where the role allows, arrangements can also be agreed for some informal home-working and we are open to candidate questions about this. If you wish to find out more, or have any questions, please contact jobs@Pirbright.ac.uk.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive, if you have not heard from us within one month from closing date of the vacancy, then please contact us on email@example.com for an update.