Location: The Pirbright Institute
Organisation position and purpose:
The CSU team is part of the Research Services department which sits within the Capability Directorate. The Position of Cleaning, Laundry & Autoclave Operator reports to the Cleaning, Laundry & Autoclave Supervisor, and works alongside 6 other laboratory Cleaners, Laundry & autoclave Operators.
Main duties and responsibility
Responsible for cleaning duties, which will include:
- Cleaning laboratories both inside and outside of containment facilities.
- Cleaning offices, mess rooms and canteens
- Cleaning and maintaining changing/locker rooms
- Cleaning washroom and bathroom facilities
- Maintenance of cleaning equipment
- Placing stores orders for required consumables.
Responsible for laundry duties, which will include:
- Collection of dirty laundry, washing, drying, pressing and re distribution of clean laundry both inside and outside of SAPO4 Containment.
Responsible for barrier autoclave operation, which will include:
- Collection of discard tins within SAPO4 restricted area and transfer to designated autoclaves
- Operation of discard autoclaves
- Transfer of waste across site to autoclaving facilities following all risk assessments, methods and COPs
- Emptying of autoclaves and subsequent waste management duties
Responsible for Health & Safety and Quality duties, which will include:
- Maintaining electronic training records
- Health and Safety responsibilities
- Following Biosafety procedures and notifying Biosafety if procedures are not followed.
- Pro-active engagement with science users
- Compliance with The Pirbright Institute Quality Assurance programme and work with the team to ensure the maintenance of Quality Standards following guidance from the QA department.
Working Pattern –Full time 37 hours per week (Job share will be considered)
Core hours are Mon – Thurs 08:45 – 17:15, Fri 08:30 – 16:30 but there can be flexibility as to how this may be arranged.
This job description is only an outline of the tasks, responsibilities and outcomes required of the role. The jobholder will carry out any other duties as may be reasonably required by his/her line manager. The job description and personal specification may be reviewed on an ongoing basis in accordance with the changing needs of The Pirbright Institute.
All employees shall actively participate in the Institute-wide quality assurance system in conjunction with the Institute’s Quality Manager. Employees are also expected to safeguard their own health and safety and security by following policies and all employees are responsible for the Health and Safety and security of staff under their management.
Good time management, dependable, high quality, action-oriented, diplomatic, engaging, flexible team player, customer focused and capable of working autonomously.
- Familiar with working to schedules and routines
- Level of literacy (ability to follow verbal/written instruction)
- Computer literate (Familiar with Microsoft Outlook and Word)
- Good customer service skills
- Good attention to detail
- Able to document and maintain records accurately
- Experience cleaning in an industry based, hospital or academic based environment
- Autoclave and/or laundry experience (training will be provided)
- Experience of manual handling techniques.
- Comfortable working alone and in a team
- Experience with Barrier Systems/Waste management
For those applicants where English is not their first language, please note that the successful applicant must be able to prove their ability to communicate in English. The required standard for the Pirbright Institute has been set as an overall mark of 7.0 in the IELTS qualification (with no lower than 7.0 for listening and reading, no lower than 6.5 for speaking and no lower than 6.0 for writing) or the equivalent in an alternative qualification.
What we offer
- £1000 uplift once successfully completed probation in line with all other C,L & A operators.
- Generous Group Personal Pension Scheme and life cover (subject to age and earnings)
- 25 days annual leave per annum, pro rata, plus 10.5 public and privilege days
- Buy and sell annual leave
- Option to carry over up to two weeks annual leave
- Pirbright gym with subsidised membership
- Pirbright social club
- Pirbright Lifestyle Hub (employee discount site)
- Cycle to work
- Subsidised staff restaurant
- Childcare allowance
- Free onsite parking
- Electric Car charging facilities
To apply for this vacancy please visit our careers page -Jobs | The Pirbright Institute